“Not many places can you be who you dream to be. In this studio, freedom isn’t a word, it’s a way of life.” – OC participant
OFFCenter Community Arts Project, founded originally as an Art Hive, is a nonprofit, located in downtown Albuquerque. We provide free, well-stocked, and safe open studio space for art-making, as well as free workgroups and special workshops. Note: To maintain a safe environment for all, children age 13 and under must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
To enhance the lives of all people in our community, especially those who have been marginalized, through art-making and creative social interaction in a safe environment.
To contribute to the well-being and stability of our community, as well as a to provide a working model of a non-institutional community art setting.
We’re committed to…
- Promoting healing and inclusive social interaction among staff, artists, and volunteers.
- Greeting everyone entering the studio and offering a studio tour to newcomers.
- Demonstrating compassion toward everyone.
- Ensuring equal access to studio space, materials, tools, and staff resources.
- Maintaining an abundant, inspiring, and aesthetically stimulating studio environment.
- Ensuring comments about artists and their creative expression are encouraging.
- Reinforcing the value of artists’ work through positive feedback and non-juried exhibitions.
- Actively listening to, sharing with, learning from, and seeking advice from studio artists.
- Encouraging all OFFCenter artists to take organizational stewardship by participating in creating and implementing programs.
- Supporting self-sufficiency of studio artists by encouraging their participation in our art gallery and shop.